Zimbabwe: Chikurubi Prisoners Graduate in Stress, Rehab Programme

Posted on: Friday, June 21, 2013


Subscribe to The Art of Living Updates
More than 183 inmates received certificates on Wednesday after completing a stress management and rehabilitation training programme at Chikurubi Maximum Prison. Zimbabwe Prison Services Deputy Commissioner Rehabilitation Rhodes Moyo presented the certificates to the prisoners who underwent an educational programme called the Art of Living Prison Stress Management and Rehabilitation Training (Prison SMART) course.

The training undertaken in collaboration with the Art of Living Foundation uses specific exercises to improve well-being by enhancing energy levels. Exercises included warm-ups, joint rotations and gentle stretches which help inmates to relieve stress, feel healthier and sleep better.

"The Art of Living course helps you to reform so that when you go out you can easily be accepted by society and your relatives," Dep Comm Moyo said. "It is very important for everyone to know that these inmates are still human beings and can reform like anybody else."

ZPS started offering the course in August 2011 and initial results show that it has helped prisoners to feel better and calmer and to stop smoking. Trainers said it also helped to reduce anger,fear,depression and feelings of isolation among prisoners.

Simbarashe Chaunoita, one of the inmates who participated in the course, said he benefited immensely from the course. "I now have a calm mind and I no longer have time to think about bad things which I used to do everyday since I came into this prison. I feel better now and I can sleep well," he said.

Said Malvin Machiti, another inmate: "I used to worry myself each and everyday on how I was going to survive in this prison. At first I thought this was hell and I was going to die but that is now a feeling of the past since I learnt to calm my mind through the training."

Source: allafrica

Official facebook page of the Art of Living   Official twitter account of The Art of Living   Official G+ page of The Art of Living   Official YouTube channel of The Art of Living   Reflections - The Art of Living Newsletter   Wisdom Post Subscription
Note: Unable to see the above images? Please click on 'Display images' in your mail

Art of Living Universe: Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | YouTube | Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment